Window of Archipelago

Borobudur Temple - 800 AD

Borobudur Temple (337 - 422 AD) already existed when F-Huan came to the Land of Java Jakarta ( DreamLandLibrary ) - Borobudur is ...

Uluwatu Temple - Year 1546 AD

Denpasar (Dreamland Library) - Uluwatu Temple is located in Pecatu Village, Kuta District, Badung Regency, Bali, about 30 km to the south of Denpasar City. Uluwatu Temple which is also called Luwur Temple is one of Sad Kahyangan Temple, which is six Kahyangan Temple which is considered as a spiritual pillar of Bali Island.

There are two opinions about the history of the founding of Uluwatu Temple. There is an opinion that says that this temple was founded by Empu Kuturan in the 9th century, namely during the reign of Marakata. Another opinion links the construction of Uluwatu Temple with Dang Hyang Nirartha, a pedanda (priest) who came from the Kingdom of Daha (Kediri) in East Java. Dang Hyang Nirartha came to Bali in 1546 AD, which was during the reign of Dalem Waturenggong. The Pedanda then founded Uluwatu Temple on Pecatu Hill. After making a spiritual journey around P. Bali, Dang Hyang Nirartha returned to Uluwatu Temple. In this temple the Pedok 'moksa', leaving 'marcapada' (world) to 'swargaloka' (heaven). Ceremonies or 'piodalan' commemoration of the anniversary of the temple falls on Anggara Kasih, wuku Medangsia in the Saka calendar. Usually the ceremony lasts for 3 consecutive days and is followed by thousands of Hindus.

Uluwatu Temple occupies land on a high cliff that juts into the Indonesian Ocean with a height of about 70 m above sea level. Because of its location on a cliff, to get to the location of the temple one must walk up a stone ladder that is quite high. This temple building faces east, in contrast to other temples in Bali which generally face west or south. Along the road on the outer edge of the temple there are hundreds of monkeys that roam. Despite appearing docile, the monkeys often harass visitors by grabbing food or items that are worn.

At the end of the climbing road there are two entrances to the temple complex, one located in the north and one in the south. The entrance is shaped like a gate and made of stone. In front of the gate there is a pair of elephant-headed statues in a standing position. The front wall of the gate is decorated with very fine sculptures patterned with leaves and flowers.

Inside, behind the gate, there is a stone-floored alleyway leading to the inner court. This open hallway is shaded by trees planted along the left and right of the hall.

The inner court is the open court. The court floor was covered by a neatly arranged stone floor. Near the gate, on the north side, there is a wooden building. In the west, opposite the entrance, there is a paduraksa gate which is the entrance to the deeper courtyard.

Unlike the outer gate, this gate is a roofed gate made of stone. The doorway is curved in shape and framed by a stone structure. Above the threshold there is a giant head sculpture. The top of the gate is shaped like a crown and decorated with various carved motifs. The gap between the gate and the walls on the left and right of the court is covered by a wall which is also decorated with sculptures.

In the south there is a small square shaped elongated and protrudes toward the sea. At the end of the court there is a wooden building that looks like a place where people sit while looking at the ocean. Since its construction, Uluwatu Temple has undergone many renovations. In fact, around 1999, this temple building was burned due to lightning strikes.

Source: http://candi.pnri.go.id/bali/index.htm

Photo: Special

Arabic Culture Turns Inheritance from Christian Religious Culture